4R Certification: Ontario
The Ontario 4R Certification program complements an existing program of the same name in Ohio. Together, agri-retailers and farmers from both sides of the border will work in tandem to reduce agricultural impacts to the environment while increasing their crop productivity. The goal of the program in Ontario is to:
- optimize crop uptake of nutrients and minimize nutrient losses;
- create long-term positive impacts on water bodies associated with agricultural production areas, including the reduction of eutrophication and incidence of harmful algal blooms, and helping to meet water quality standards;
- encourage sharing of the most up-to-date information about responsible nutrient stewardship with Nutrient Service Providers, growers, and other interested groups; and
- help the agricultural sector adapt to new research and technology in the area of nutrient stewardship.
The Ontario agriculture industry is committed to working towards the long term improvement of the Great Lakes water quality. By supporting the need to protect and restore the ecological health of the Great Lakes, we are committed to being a part of the solution to ensuring the Great Lakes remain “drinkable, swimmable and fishable.” The industry recognizes the potential for regulations, the importance of environmental stewardship and its role in ensuring the proper use of fertilizer.
Follow these steps to become 4R Certified in Ontario
1. Learn More About 4R Certification
4R Certification is a voluntary program designed to allow agri-retailers in Ontario to align their business practices with the sustainability principles of 4R Nutrient Stewardship, as verified by a third-party of 37 auditable standards
2. Gather the Required Evidence for Your 4R Certification Audit
The below resources will help you organize for your 4R Certification Audit and become 4R Certified.
Supporting documents referenced in the summary will be provided upon request
4. Schedule Your 4R Certification Audit
Now is the time to schedule your official 4R Certification Audit – the last step to becoming 4R Certified!
Book your audit now with one of our auditors below: